Saturday, January 10, 2015

Maintaining the Water Softener

I bought my cottage 16 years ago.  My cottage was built in the 1930's and after I bought it, I put on two additions, a new furnace, central air conditioning, a new well and changed over most all the electrical to a larger panel.  It came with a Culligan Water Conditioner which worked awesome up until a few years ago.

After having the Culligan man out to tell me that mine is shot and I need a new one or a newer used one, I had to get creative with making the one I have last until I could save for a new/er one.  For some reason, it will cycle the salt, but it doesn't return water to the brine tank.  So every few days, I put a couple buckets of water in the tank before the next cycle day.



Well, I am still babying my water softener and decided that I would add a household water filtration system.  It looks like this, to add to my water softener system.  Now to find someone to install it.  I do see that Kmart/Sears carries water softeners systems for $300.   I wonder if I can put one in layaway.



The filters to this system cost $11 each.  They are charcoal filters and are supposed to last a couple months each, so I think this is something I could add to my budget.  Even if I had to change it every month, it is only an extra $5.50.  I hope it helps.

2 comments:

  1. It’s great to know that you’ve taken an interest in water softeners. I’m sure it will serve you well in the long run. Though you have to spend money just to change those charcoal filters, knowing that it is for attaining better water quality makes it all worth the effort. Anyway, thanks for sharing this with us. Have a great day!


    Verna Griffin @ AXEON Water Technologies

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ve found those filters always last far longer than they say they do – or perhaps we just don’t mind pushing them to their limit in our household and only changing them when they really need it! I suppose if you have soft water, it means at least you spend less on detergents. Good luck with whatever you decide.

    ReplyDelete