Thursday, January 15, 2015

Restoring the Beach Cruiser



Well, I think I just figured out what to save my change for.  This beautiful Beach Cruiser my husband saved from someone's garbage pile and brought home to me last year for my birthday.  I live one mile from our cute little town which hosts quite a few different festivals throughout the year.  Plus, we have some cute shops, coffee and bagel houses and restaurants to meander into.  I also live a short distant from my summer beach job and this would really come in handy, along with all the trails that are around the Cottage from living so close to a State Park.  It would really be fun to ride my Cruiser around this summer.  So, as soon as the weather starts to peek out the springtime, I will be working on this project.

And, in the meantime, I will save on gas and get some exercise.  Totally in the budget.

It needs a bit of cleaning.  There is rust on the handle bars and the light fixture.  Someone suggested using oven cleaner, or coke and baking soda.  I heard that ammonia does a good job if you can wrap the areas with plastic and leave a little ammonia in the area wrapped, it will just pull the rust off.

So, because my time is usually limited and I don't like to spend a lot of wasted time trying to clean and fix stuff, I will see if I can get some plastic wrap and zip lock baggies to put around the areas and add some ammonia and let sit overnight.

If there are any results, I will figure out how to move onto the other ideas for cleaning them.

I do, however, love the color of the bike.  It is like a Khaki Camo Green color which is the same color as my eyes.  I am going to change the tires out and put on something more colorful and vintage looking.  There are tires with white walls or just a hint of color, but adding color just might be the way to ride.


Duro Beach Cruiser Tires {Colored Bicycle Tires}-$17.00 BikesXpress


What fun projects are you working on or if you know the secret to cleaning off rust, tell me in the comments below.


No comments:

Post a Comment